Summer in times of Corona! We are all living it, fighting it, feeling it and trying to make the best of it. It’s definitely tough. The new school year is looming ahead and me and my husband are thinking of starting home-schooling in addition to whatever the school district proposes. It will be hard but we have to do it. Let’s see what resources I gather in the coming days. Speaking of tough days, dinner on these hard days doesn’t need to be a challenge. When you don’t have a lot of time or are in a dilemma about what to make, this delicious, easy Chicken Fajita pasta will save dinner time and your sanity. Seriously there are days when I’m so thankful for the invention of pasta and the fact that my kids love to eat it! But you also don’t want to eat the same type of pasta dish week after week. This Chicken Fajita pasta is perfect not only for those quick weeknight dinners, but also for a dinner party, for quick Sunday lunches or even picnics! It’s delicious with the perfect blend of taco seasoning and cheesy pasta. Full of flavor! I’ve made my own taco seasoning to flavor this pasta but you can use your favorite store bought seasoning too. When making taco seasoning at home, make sure you use smoked paprika. That’s the key ingredient! It’s also a nice spice to have in your pantry for other Mexican dishes. I have used also used it in my Huevos Rancheros recipe. You can use tricolor bell peppers, or even use frozen stir fry vegetables found in the freezer section. This dish is very versatile so feel free to change up the ingredients.
Chicken Fajita pasta
Recipe by Leena Ali
For the Taco seasoning:
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
For the pasta:
- 1 lbs of Fusili/Penne Pasta, boiled and drained
- 1 lbs chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 small jalapeño, sliced
- 1 cup of diced tomatoes, drained if using canned
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 1 cup of Colby Jack/cheddar or other Mexican blend cheese
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp crushed red chili
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cilantro for garnishing
- Mix all the ingredients for the Taco seasoning. Slice the chicken breasts thin length-wise. Sprinkle them with the taco seasoning. Let the chicken breast rest for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, cook the pasta and chop/slice the bell pepper and onion.
- In a deep bottomed pot, melt the butter and let it foam for 2 minutes on low heat. Add the flour and whisk for 4-5 minutes. Whisk in the milk and simmer till the sauce thicken slightly. Add in the cheese and the rest of the spices including salt and pepper. Let it simmer for 2-3 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Heat olive oil in a large, deep sauté pan.
- Fry the chicken breasts till both sides are nice and brown. Take the chicken out and let them rest on a paper towel lined plate. Cut them into bite sized pieces.
- In the same frying pan, add the cut vegetables. Stir fry on medium heat.
- Add the pasta and the white sauce. Mix well.
- Add the tomatoes and the chicken pieces. Cover and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro.
Serve hot with some garlic bread on the side.