This is seriously the best Banana Bread ever created! Don’t believe me? You will after you read the story behind this claim of mine. My eight year old son dislikes bananas a lot! He never wants to eat bananas as snack or have them in any form at all until he tried this banana bread! He still doesn’t eat bananas as is but he absolutely loves banana bread now! This is how good this is!
I have always struggled with most banana bread recipes being overly sweet, or too mushy, or too dry or too crumbly! I have finally created the perfect moist & tender, yet firm & not too sweet banana bread! I added sour cream for a slight tang as well as to keep the bread from drying out. I also used both brown sugar and white sugar to give the perfect color and hint of caramel flavor to this delicious banana bread!
I always use bananas when they are in their last stage! You know the stage when you fear fruit flies will be hovering over them soon as they are so dark and starting to look moldy! Yup, those are the best bananas to use! I also add walnuts to my banana bread as I love the crunch it provides! For my chocolate loving husband and kids, I add chocolate chips in their loaf! (Yes, I always make two loaves, one with chocolate chips for the three of them to share & one just for me! 😈)
You can serve this bread as is but I always love to go extra 😎 (I can see hubby shaking his head). I serve it with a sweet vanilla cream drizzled at the top. It tastes even more amazing for me then as I love this vanilla cream! I drizzle it on french toasts, pancakes, breads, basically it’s my new love affair! 🤫
I hope you enjoy making and eating this bread as much as my family does! My son finds this so easy that with my minimal supervision, he whips up this bread every time he sees bananas going bad!
Best ever Banana Bread – by Leena Ali
- 3 bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, soft at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sour cream (or Greek yoghurt)
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
Note: Make sure butter, eggs and sour cream are all at room temperature. Take out all these ingredients from the refrigerator for atleast 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Grease two 8″ by 4″ loaf pans with oil and prepare with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, crush the bananas with a fork. Make sure to not over mash them.
- Sift flour with baking soda, cinnamon powder and salt in a bowl. Keep aside.
- Beat butter and sugar well together until light and fluffy (for atleast 6-7 minutes).
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix in sour cream to this mixture.
- Add flour mix in two batches. Mix until all specks of flour are gone.
- Add in the crushed bananas and vanilla extract. Do not over mix.
- Using a spatula, fold in walnuts and chocolate chips if using them.
- Pour into prepared tins and flatten the tops with the spatula.
- Bake for 20-25 mins. or until the skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean and the top is nice and brown.
- Enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee!
Note: You can also use this recipe to make a bundt banana cake in the bundt pan! Or make banana muffins by baking it in a muffin pan. Makes 12 muffins. Bake for 15-18 minutes for muffins.
Happy baking from Leena’s Kitchen! ❤️