Thinking of what to make for dinner is a struggle every night – especially on week nights! Sometimes, the kids’ activities run late and I have just an hour to prepare something that is quick, nutritious and delicious. I always try to plan the menu of the day the night before. I usually take out the frozen meat and pop in the fridge to defrost over night just to make things simpler. But even then I think it’s so hard to decide what to make with chicken. There are only certain dishes that keep rotating often and then not only everyone gets tired of eating them but you get tired of making them. The struggle is real, sigh!
If you are stuck in the same problem of wondering what to cook – something different and delicious as well as quick, then this recipe is for you! I invented this recipe and experimented on my family… Nawwara thinks this is the best chicken curry I ever made! Got her thumbs up!👍🏻
Chicken Pepper Masala
• 1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken (cut into bite size pieces)
• Ginger crushed 1 tbsp
• Garlic crushed 2 cloves
• Red chili powder 1 tsp
• Dry chili flakes 1 tsp
• Carom seeds crushed 1/2 tsp
• Garam masala powder (or curry powder) 3/4 tsp
• Black pepper powder 1/2 tsp
• Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
• Cumin powder 1 tsp
• Yoghurt ( full fat) 3 tbsp
• Salt to taste
• 1 onion
• 2 garlic cloves
• 1 jalapeño
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 cup of tomato sauce
• 1 cup of water
• 1 cup of bell pepper
• Oil 2-3 tbsp
– Marinate chicken with the first 11 ingredients. Refrigerate for half an hour.
– In a blender, blend the onion, garlic cloves and jalapeño together without adding any water.
– Heat oil in a pan. Add a bayleaf and let it sizzle for a minute. Add the blended onion, garlic & jalapeño mixture. Sauté for 7-8 minutes till all the water dries up.
– Add the marinated chicken and sauté for another 8-10 minutes, until the chicken changes color.
– Pour in a cup of tomato sauce and water. Mix well and adjust seasoning. You can add more salt, pepper or paprika at this point.
– Add chopped bell pepper. Cover and let simmer on low heat for atleast 10 minutes.
– At the end of 10 minutes, squeeze half a lemon on top and turn off heat.
– Serve topped with cilantro. Enjoy with Naan bread or plain rice.
You can also see my step by step video in my highlights on my Instagram. Let me know how you like this delicious chicken curry when you make it.